Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Auntie Kat

We had our Wednesday Club this evening. One of our members, Rhiannon, is going to have a baby girl this December. Marie will become a grandmother, and is completely thrilled. Tiffanie and Lisa will become aunts. I was feeling a bit left out since I am the only one that isn't technically a family member. I asked for permission to be an Auntie, and Rhiannon graciously granted it. After we finished our chat, it reminded me of something funny that happened to this "honorary aunt."

I was working as a trainer in the telephone customer service department of a large banking corporation. Our newest trainer, let's call him John, and his wife, we will call her Judy, had a lovely baby boy a few months after he began working with us. I liked them both, and was very flattered when they started referring to me as their son's Auntie Kat. It was quite sweet, actually, to receive a Christmas gift with a card that said, "Merry Christmas, Auntie Kat!" It truly warmed the cockles of my heart. Please do not ask me where the heart's cockles are located. I have not been to medical school, so I don't know. All I know is that they were warmed, okay?

Time passed and Baby came in to the office at times to visit us, and he pretty much had me wrapped around his tiny little finger. He was such a good-natured baby, and had a sense of humor from a very young age. You know what I mean. He was one of those babies that bursts into endless giggles when you make a funny noise or a silly facial expression. As long as he didn't pee on me, we were good friends.

When my birthday rolled around, I came to my desk to find that a bouquet of flowers had been delivered while I was in the training room. It was such a pleasant surprise. I looked at the card and saw that the florist was located on a quaint little block that was filled with restaurants and shops. I eagerly opened the envelope to read this lovely sentiment; "Happy Birthday, Antique Kat! Love, Baby." I burst into laughter. How hysterical! John was stunned. What was so funny? People don't laugh like a loon when you send them flowers on their birthday!

I was actually laughing too hard to tell him what the card said, so I just showed him. He got embarrassed and his face turned red, but I had to tell him that it was the sweetest and funniest thing that had ever happened on my birthday, and I wouldn't change it for the world. So what, the florist misunderstood the order and made a mistake on the card. But that mistake was so fun I have never forgotten it. The next time we drove through that quaint shopping district, I noticed something that I hadn't realized before. Nestled amid the restaurants, ice cream shop, and florist was a liquor store. Perhaps the florist spent too much time and money at some of the neighboring shops? I am sure that is not the case, but it added a little extra flavor to the story of how I became Antique Kat!

 

1 comment:

  1. lol how funny! Antique Kat! lol I'll make sure Baby Dench knows how to spell your name ok ;)

    ReplyDelete