Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I Made Her Cry

When my friend Marie took me to my followup visit with the dermatologist who did my rosacea laser treatment, we decided that we might as well have lunch as well. As luck would have it, there is a restaurant right next door to the cosmetic clinic, and in short order we were enjoying delicious soups and crusty baguettes. It's always fun to catch up on everything that is going on when we have these little breaks, and Marie was telling me something about a telephone conversation she'd had with her daughter a few days before. Just after she mentioned that they were talking about chicken coops and chickens, a staff member came up to us with a tray loaded with little bits of sweet rolls and offered us a sample. We asked what they were, and decided to try them, and they were quite tasty.

When the young woman walked away with her tray, I turned to Marie and said, "So you were talking about chickens?" Marie's mouth dropped open and her eyes got wide. "Marie, all I did was pause the program in progress. I guess you must have changed the channel!" Marie laughed as I reminded her of the last point in our conversation, the point you might refer to as BSR: Before Sweet Rolls. She began to laugh even harder when she replayed my sassy comment. "Katrina, I think you just paused the program, but I didn't just change channels, I turned off the tv!" We continued eating, and Marie was still laughing really hard at my joke when I got really silly. "Marie, would you please tell me about the d--n chickens?" Before she could tell me what was going on with the conversation, she was laughing so hard that tears were streaming down her face. Luckily, we regained our composure before we had to be asked to leave the establishment, or even have a fit of coughing or hiccups from laughing so much.

I don't know about anyone else, but any time that I can make someone laugh until they cry, it makes me feel like I have done something to make the world a better place. We share all sorts of moments and emotions among friends, family, and what I like to think of as our chosen family. We have our highs and lows, and still stick together. We help each other along on this path of life, enjoying the highs, and sharing sorrows, angers, and frustrations. The burdens of rough times are lightened when we share them, and the joys are magnified. I will stick with my friends through trials, and rejoice at their triumphs. And if I can get a sassy remark in while I am with them, maybe I can make them laugh until they cry!



No comments:

Post a Comment