Monday, September 14, 2015

Welcome To My Blogging World

There are many people who think that everyone who writes a blog just sits at their computing device, writes something serious or amusing or thought-provoking, and smiles while the money comes rolling in. When I began this blog in May of 2012, that certainly wasn't my objective or opinion. I went into blogging as a way of sharing the thoughts and musings of a person who variously sees beauty, tragedy, amusement, and absurdity in her everyday life. A Raving Lunatic, as it were. I didn't really think of it as a money-making prospect, but more as a substitute for the book I've always hoped to write. Instead of writing and publishing it all at once, I'm drawing it out over time, sort of writing it in installments. I've had one or two people suggest that I open my blog to advertising spots to make lots and lots of money, which netted me absolutely zero. I abandoned the idea just as quickly as I accepted it.

And now the realities of Lunatic Land set in. Mounting costs for medications and refusals of insurance companies to cover costs that they did in the past are making it difficult for Lunatic and Co. to keep their heads above water. I don't want to make one of those pleas for money that one sees every day. It simply occurs to me that the one skill I have to offer is my writing. And then I began to wonder, what if I created the blog-writing equivalent of a tip jar? (Thanks to my friend and reader Ali for using that exact phrase, and please forgive me for borrowing it!)

So, after much internal struggle, I have decided to do so on a trial basis. As always, I appreciate your feedback and welcome your opinions about this move. Please feel free to let me know in the comments how you feel about this addition. You, my readers, are of my utmost concern and I would not want to offend anyone by this addition. And connecting to the link is absolutely voluntary; I will still keep sharing my heart, my laughter, and my tears. Writing this blog has become a part of my life now, a part I want to keep growing. 



If you are interested in supporting The Lunatic and Company, the link is located on the upper right in the column next to my blog posts, in the section entitled About Me. Thank you for reading, and thank you to any of you who may wish to contribute.




No comments:

Post a Comment