Saturday, January 13, 2018

Roundup

I know, I can't believe it either. My second post in less than a week! I know I've let my readers down, and I certainly am grateful to have such wonderful people who are willing to put up with me when the blog goes on the back burner. You know the one I mean, the one that you can barely reach, but it doesn't matter much anyway because the heating element doesn't always work. But I'm rooting through my toolbox like The Lunatic that I am, trying to turn up the heat.

Well, everyone, we made it through the holidays. Trent and I really enjoy Thanksgiving (we roasted a turkey and had a quiet and delicious feast) and Christmas. All my life, I've loved any opportunity to give others gifts. Unfortunately ee seem to have something we refer to as a Christmas Curse. I know that some of my friends have this same ailment. Invariably, when the season of gifting rolls around, we find ourselves with a huge desire to spread gifts and goodwill, but without the means to do so. There are worse problems to have, so I'll live and learn from the Christmas Curse.  

This holiday season held a few challenges as well as a few triumphs. Through a combination of luck and ingenuity, we managed to find gifts for those we really hoped to, and did so before Thanksgiving had rolled around. In fact, one of the gifts ended up being such a hit that the recipient almost turned into an excited five year old. I'm being purposely vague because I think I'd like to write about that in another installment of my Ravings.

One of the really difficult things about this holiday season was that it was the first without our friend Thayne, who left us behind so suddenly last September. Our holidays have been intertwined with Thayne and Marie for a number of years, and it felt strange without him. 

To add to the excitement of the season, Trent had to go through two surgical procedures within eight days. After the effects of many years of Prednisone and other anti-rejection medications on Trent's teeth, he had to go through oral surgery on the 11th of December. One week later, he was having skin cancer surgery on his ear. Needless to say, we've had quite a few dentist, surgeon, and nurse appointments. Trent has had to deal with a lot of discomfort - okay, pain, and some has been inflicted by me while doing wound care. We have a visit coming next week which should see the final removal of stitches - well over fifty of them. I'll leave it at that vague description until I get his consent to go into more detail.

Liz, who was in the process of her divorce last Christmas season, spent this Christmas season in the company of a new companion. She probably would have expired from boredom if she'd had to rely solely on us for entertainment this season. To borrow from the old-time Timex commercials, we keep on ticking. We have each other, a home, and plenty to eat. Actually, I've been trying to eat less to better manage my blood sugar, and even managed to continue my weight loss over the holidays. Dr. Mike says that on average, most people gain about 7 pounds over the holiday season. I managed to add about that much to my weight loss over the same time period, so maybe I'm starting to get on the right track.

Well, I sure have rambled on in this post. Please forgive me. I've also thought of several possible posts I'd like to write while I've been tapping away at the keyboard. Wish me well, please, as I'd like to give you a lot more to read this year than I did during the last. Let's hope for the best, shall we?

I hope that you're all content with what is going on in your corners of the world. My hopes for all of us in this and every year are basically the same. I wish us all peace, health, love, and the good fortune of having enough. What else could we ask for, really? We don't need vast amounts of money to survive, although sometimes it feels that way. What we need more are the things all the riches in the world can't buy. I hope they'll be overflowing for all of us.


A note from The Lunatic: I don't want to be a nag, but I will anyway. For your skin's sake, please consider wearing sunscreen or a hat. Or both. Be well, my friends!


***************************************************************

The Tip Jar:

As always, I am happy and honored to write for you. It brings me great joy, and I hope that it gives you joy and/or food for thought. If you'd like to support the cause, please visit:

https://www.paypal.me/TheLunatic




Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment